Saturday, September 04, 2010

I am a satirist ?


...for the benefit of the lesser informed/educated see the real meaning of satire below :

Origin & History satire late 14c., "work intended to ridicule vice or folly," from L. satira "satire, poetic medley," earlier satura , in lanx satura "mixed dish, dish filled with various kinds of fruit," lit. "full dish," from fem. of satur "sated" (see saturate). First applied in literary sense to a collection of poems on a variety of subjects by Ennius. In classical L., a poem which assailed the prevailing vices, one after another. Altered in L. by infl. of Gk. satyr, on mistaken notion that the form is related to the Gk. satyr drama


sat·ire    /ˈsætaɪər/ [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Such is what I am made out to be ....., unless you go by BigDog's definition of the word as "purely fictional" or the MalayMail 's misquote of my definition, which the reporter in question did apologise and promised a correction ! ( here )

I am a so-po blogger and that's what I've always been long before the emergence of the hundreds if not thousands of bloggers, post 2008. Of course I may or may not fit the bill of the real definition of satirist, but I certainly am not writing "fiction" here....so I leave to my readers to decide because sometimes a mischievous or deliberate print of a choice word would direct a reader to brush this blog off as "purely fictitious", yes...... but then again what would so many "cut & paste artists" around today know anyways huh, right ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just coulԁ not gο away уour website befοre suggeѕting thаt I extгemеly loved thе usual іnfoгmаtiоn аn individual proνide for your ѵisitors?

Is gonna be аgain regulaгly in orԁer to checκ uр on new pоsts
Feel free to visit my page : Sm.Ef.dk