Friday, February 25, 2011

Help me to help yourself !

A rather somber call to Bernard this evening prompted this posting. I don't know how to begin but here goes....

See...there's a very small and loose group of individuals who are bloggers and supporters who have made it a personal duty to be at all by-elections so far and report from ground zero not just of what's going on but also tits and bits of news of whats happening at the run-up of the by-election itself. I know of many who actually call me of news on the ground on polling day and I always direct them to the "nerve-centre" of elections up-dates i.e.zorro-unmasked ( blog-author Bernard Khoo).

So it came as a shock to me when Bernard told me in not so many words that he'll give this up-coming by-elections in Merlimau and Kerdau a miss. When pressed further for whys and why nots' he,in a dejected tone reluctantly replied
"for lack of funds" and for lack of "enthusiastic financial support" from all around. I want to put on record that at all times in past by-elections ( and you know there's been plenty already !) the presence of Bernard reporting from all those places had always been something everyone had looked forward to. I also know for a fact that being a retired man with what he gets only from some big-hearted well-wishers, he unselfishly sacrifices his time and his "stinging" in-your-face postings on his old lap-top to bring news from the "other side" to the comfort of your living rooms. There's no cash allocations from any political party and neither would he accept it but will welcome from individuals, be they caring politicians from any party or plain tax-paying citizens of Malaysia.

I don't think it is solely Bernard's responsibility alone to disseminate the latest news from every
"by-election town" but for everyone (read you and me ) to chip in, in whatever way be it in cash or in kind, their fair share as grateful recipients of "news" from the messenger. You have seen how he operates from cramped hotel rooms to sharing a small space in operations centres with minimum wifi-connection facilities

Don't get me wrong. I not begging here but I did send out an 'appeal' sms earlier today and the replies were not very encouraging. Mark L asked me for a figure but I replied "any amount would be welcomed bro" and Mark's promised to meet and give me a substantial sum today for Bernard's next mission. Thank you Mark and thank you Nada. (the first 2 to immediately respond to my sms )

See, more money means Bernard can stay longer from nomination day to polling day and it also means he can stay focused on the ground. There's hotel, petrol and food bills to take care off for a week or more. But good ole' Francis Y has always generously taken care off of our thirst with his wonderful "golden" brew. And so too Desmond T for the loan of one of his many cars which included the "Blue Blitz" !

Many a times when I was with Bernard at eating places in some "election-town", unknown strangers secretly pay for our food without our knowledge and leave without saying a word and it's moments like that, that really warms my heart and renews my faith in our society eager and appreciative to what this old man from Taiping does with an unselfish passion for so long.

I once again would like to make this appeal to you fellow Malaysians to "think" and if you cared, drop by at any Public Bank branch today and make that contribution from your heart to the account of;

Khoo Teng Swee (..that's Bernard's given name ! )
Account no: 4475 18 4333

But just don't expect any receipts from Bernard for your contribution please. He does not even know what I'm asking of you. Do it for "change" from your heart for a better tomorrow. Thank you.

2 comments:

SFGEMS said...

My dear Stephen

You have a heart of gold. Of this, I am sure.

Thanks for highlighting this. I'll drop my grain of sand to the heaps that he will surely be getting.

Love and hugs
Lita

nstman said...

I believe everyone should step forward. Just sacrifice two glasses of beer a day for a week. I hope that's not asking too much for a just and noble cause. In his short span as a blogger, Zorro has stirred the conscience of the public in the fight against Umno bigotry, lies, stupidity, racism, discrimination. This is the least we can do for a Malaysian patriot.