Sunday, February 04, 2007

Shanghai'd !

Time and again many have curiously asked this question as to my blog name... "why Shanghai Fish "? From my first ever "Hello" post (23rd. May 2006) I did try to explain something to that context.

Well to begin with I'm a darter and a pretty unpredictable one at that too ! See in dart terms there is such a thing as , if you finish a game with the last 3 darts all in one number or slice of the dart board i.e. the triple, normal and double of say a certain number then you have done a "shanghai-finish" e.g. if the balance point was 120 and you threw a first dart on a 20 then a second dart on 60 (triple 20 ) and checked-out in 40 (double 20 ) .

On the 4th. of September 2005 in the 6th. Merdeka Invitational Darts Tournament championship hosted by the Royal Lake Club, Kuala Lumpur, yours truely did just that and it was reported the following day in the Malay Mail that, yours truely ( representing the National Press Club) was the only one in the tournament who did a "Shanghai Fish" ....yes, maybe it was a typo error, I won't know, but that was exactly what was reported and printed in the papers. See the photo- clip and story above !!

So you see folks I did not realise this but that name stuck on me. There you go......hokay ??
P.S. By the way I've got a name and my name is Stephen Francis, and yes, I hope I am a responsible blogger !

5 comments:

Hi&Lo said...

My initial impression you got shanghaied which means despatched to a god forsaken place. :)

Shanghai Fish said...

hi&lo
got drunk/high and packed off to a god-forsaken rehab!
There you go...you learn something new everyday...don't we all ? Cheers !

Editor said...

Hi Stephen,

Good to know there are still responsible bloggers around. Please email me your email address for private conversations.Thanks buddy.

the witch's broo said...

shanghaistephen,
Oh... now I know how u got the name..

tokasid said...

Shanghaistephen of tepeng.

Would you by any chance, change Shanghai Fish to Port Weld fish or Pantai Remis fish?