Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Thank you and Godbless"

Last night on my way out to town around 8pm, I phoned the police department and complained to a guy at the station that it's been awhile since I actually saw any patrol car "ronda"ing in my neighbourhood, and the police personnel on the other end apologised politely that all hands are working round the clock in the "Shalini" and "Nurin" cases !

Good, I said..... but also told him while everyone was so focused on "those" cases, elsewhere other thieving opportunists and misfits were taking advantage of the situation and little petty crimes have occurred, like for the life of me I can't seem to find my new pair of "dockers" suede-loafers which I last wore 2 weeks ago, and another of my neighbour who also lost a couple of her shoes....these I told the policeman probably happened between 3 am and 6 am, and also the sudden "sightings" of a bunch of "rempits" hanging around my neighbourhood play-ground way past 1am !

So as I was returning home this morning around 4 and after muchos consumption of malts and barley and hops, I was pleasantly surprised to be tail-gated by a patrol-car ( no lights flashing!),and which I had noticed earlier, parked discreetly near the entrance to Happy Gardens off Old Kuchai Road, right to my doorstep !

As I neared my home and pressed on the remote auto-gate to open, a policeman peered out of his window, trying to get a glimpse of me and that was when I put my head out of the window and gave him the thumbs-up and waved as I drove into my porch !

Now isn't that something ? That's the way to do it,boys, yes, stop anyone(in my case, when I opened my gate, they knew I lived there, so they waited till I was inside and they drove-off quietly ! ) and demand their reason to be driving so late or early in the morning and if that they had any business to be in the neighbourhood (if they were non-residents !)

I know I've been critical of our boys in blue and am always selfishly demanding of their attention to safe-guard MY neighbourhood, yes, but.. hey!...... who wouldn't, right ?

Right now, I just want to say "thank you" to that 2 guys in that patrol-car this morning and to "keep-up the good work"....there is hope yet in this sad state of security in our country !

Godbless and cheers !

12 comments:

zorro said...

Buy me a beer tonite and I will tell you where I hide my Crocs!

svllee said...

You sure they were coppers? Maybe disguised robbers surveying your neighbourhood!

Mr Bojangles said...

Bro,

Actually the ordinary foot-soldier cops are not too bad. If only they are not arm-twisted, like Bush's coalition of the coerced, to do other people's biddings I'm sure things would be immeasurably better in bolehland.

I remember returning home with wife one night after dinner and noticing the downstairs bathroom door locked from the inside. Now, with no one at home, why should that be? Could be someone had broken into the house while we were away and disturbed by our return decided to hide in the bathroom, you know, like the proverbial enemy in the blanket, and make his dastardly move after we folks had retired to bed.

Checked all over the house and nothing seemed amiss.

Wanted to open the bathroom door with a key and armed with a sota, but better half said better to put our tax dollars to work and call the cops stationed just about a half mile away.

Within a minute two chappies in mufti turned up on a motorbike and immediately got to work. They unlocked the bathroom door with aforementioned key but there was no one there. But the bathroom had a loose ceiling for access to the roof of the single storey room extension. So the cad could have been hiding his hide there.

Cop climbed up and flashed his flashlight around the roof and declared, "nope, no one there."

Came down and wanted to check the rest of the house but I assured him it had already been done. Didn't want to unnecessarily keep him away from his other tugas2.

They stayed a bit checking for signs of a break-in, the garden area, back lane, side lane etc of the corner house and only left after they were completely satisfied all was okay.

I don't want to think it is an isolated case but to me at least they responded when it mattered most.


BTW, the pic of Taiping Lake Gardens - was it taken in the 60's!?
You'd be hard put to find such a sense of tranquility there today.
I should know. I lived in Taiping for the first 11 1/2 years of my life and the Gardens was a regular place for some of class picnics then.

My apologies for a comment that's almost as long as your blog. But sitting over here as I am where the mercury has fallen to 8F, such memories kinda help keep you warm.

Take care.

Shanghai Fish said...

mr. bojangles,

It certainly gives you the creeps to know some uninvited guest had actually invaded the privacy of your home, right ? Thank God nothing was missing and the quick presence of the cops did give you a sense of security...even if it was temporarily,yes, but it did create an immediate phobia henceforth, right !

Thank you for dropping by my blog and yes, I do like long commentaries, sir, it sort of gives me a better understanding of you ! Now I do know you are not in Malaysia but are either in Europe or the US, and that we had both shared Taiping's tranquility sometime in our lives. That photo was taken about 2 years ago, around noon, as I was,as always, showing-off the beauty of my "kampung" to my KLite wifey and kid !She says I'm always bragging about my hometown and why not ???...I'm proud to be from Taiping ! Great beauty and calm lies beneath the canopy of those trees in the old lake gardens....Cheers to Taiping and to you sir !

Shanghai Fish said...

svlee,
I know what you're thinking, yes , but trust me bro...these were the real mccoy ! And I've always have been on their backs too !
Cheers and happy "clicking-away" in London....great photos there !

zorro said...

TAIPING, NOW AND FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, always wanted to meet you,..perhaps next trip!

Anonymous said...

Whew ! a lucky break for you. They did not check you for DUI ;)

Rockybru said...

play some darts tonight and i'll get you a pair of crocs.

the witch's broo said...

mr fish,

you want help from a witch? a spell, maybe to keep them theives at bay?

the witch's broo said...

mr fish,

you want help from a witch? a spell, maybe to keep them theives at bay?

Shanghai Fish said...

the witche's broo
hahahaha ! aracadabra...wshooosh !!!and all the thieves will crawl like frogs and zapping their long tongues at flies..hey, broo, do me a bigger favor and cast a spell on them moronic so-called "elected" goons in parliament and while you at it, turn that correct,correct slime-bugger lingam into a slithering snake he already is !
Cheers to you !