Thursday, June 05, 2008

P.Ramlee... the Musical -my take !

Well, in all honesty, I am not one who actually fancies local stage plays and am quiet critical about the quality of local production but hey !....wait a minute here.... I was quiet impressed with this play based on my only favorite malay star, P.Ramlee, last night at the Istana Budaya Auditorium ! It was good !

The cast was excellent and the lively dancers displayed great choreographed discipline special mention goes to the "5 paparazzies" and the young man Musly Ramlee even impersonated and sang like the local legend himself, impressively !

Although the entire play was staged in malay, I was more then happy as "a sub-title" digital board was conspicuously placed beside the stage......so there you go folks, if you knew my "malay"... I could easily follow the whole show !

But I must admit there were flaws in the facts of the story-line itself as my hero in real life always enjoyed his drinks and his parties but for unwarranted reasons the producers (maybe begging to be politically correct !!) decided to paint an angel of this "hot-blooded" man while a "certain" wife is portrayed as a overly social party animal...... which I think was unfair to the adult viewing patrons as my admiration for this absolutely talented man P.Ramlee would not waiver anyways and with all due respect to his surviving members of his family, P.Ramlee when alive, never kept it a secret himself and for God's sake man..... this man actually enjoyed his drinks, so why the distortion, I cannot understand.

I really don't care if P.Ramlee enjoyed his Guinness and played mahjong with SB Loy in Princess Cafe', that's his private life !......he was a great entertainer and I loved hearing him sing and watching him act....... PERIOD !!

Who am I to blow against the wind and judge him......right ?

A story of any great man must be told in complete honesty.....and that is my opinion !

But the play per se was wonderful and I must take my hat off to the entire production for a splendid "up-grading" in terms of quality. You, the entire lot, responsible for putting this show together, have renewed my faith in the local theater scene. Syabas !

No comments: