Saturday, June 06, 2009

try "analytical questioning" for a change !

Patriotism (pa·tri·ot·ism (pā'trē-ə-tĭz'əm) is defined as love of and/or devotion to one's country. The word comes from the Greek patris.[1] However, patriotism has had different meanings over time, and its meaning is highly dependent upon context, geography and philosophy. Although patriotism is used in certain vernaculars as a synonym for nationalism, nationalism is not considered an inherent part of patriotism. .[2][3] Among the ancient Greeks, patriotism consisted of notions concerning language, religious traditions, ethics, law and devotion to the common good, rather than pure identification with a nation-state.[4] [5] Scholar J. Peter Euben writes that for the Greek philosopher Socrates, "patriotism does not require one to agree with everything that his country does and would actually promote analytical questioning in a quest to make the country the best it possibly can be."[6]-wikipedia.

Now read what our champion Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi wants to promote to our kids in post-National Service(NS) programs here.

I for one would go along with "analytical questioning". Similarly what this program is for is to instill blind faith to our young without questioning, yes ? And not discounting the additional "tax-payers" mega-bucks involved in such a promotion. Lets not waste good money in the first place, okay ? Going back to the now almost "conveniently" forgotten "The People's Declaration" would be a far better and cost saving alternative. (see here and here....long before 1Malaysia came about !)

I know I sound cynical but don't you think simple moral values be instilled in kids from the formative years at home by the parents ? My parents groomed me and so too I, to my kid, everyday.

Why and what can be achieved in 3 months anyway when each child is categorically isolated from kids of other cultures and religions right up to the age of 17 huh ? Our politicians are the culprits, yes ! They dictate, alter and manipulate the education system to their whims and fancies and whooosh....come up with this grand and "profitable" idea of a program they deem fit for our kids !


I may not be a rocket scientist nor did I go to NS and I was not "brain-stormed" and conditioned to swallow everything I read. I was allowed to decide what was best for US, Malaysians by the various colors of people I interacted when growing-up in school, free and untainted in Taiping in the 60's and long before some "moron-in-suit" pointed-out the color of my skin and the race and religion I professed !

Duhhh....Sheeesh !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,


ZAHID?

Does he deserve any Comments?

Hmmmmmmm
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz






Joe Black

PARPUKARI said...

DENGAN IZIN SAYA NAK MINTAK SEMUA PEMBACA BUDIMAN SUPAYA MEMBACA ARTIKEL INI DAN EDARKAN PADA SEMUA! SEJARAH TIDAK BOLEH DI PADAM!

http://parpukari.blogspot.com/2009/06/reid-commission-original-document.html

shar101 said...

Bro,

Wait till the BTN takes charge of defining 1Malaysia.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/malaysia/28603-biro-tatanegara-to-organise-1-malaysia-courses

That will be a day of reckoning.

Waaah! Unbelievable! Parpu Kari is also a historian kah??? When will he become a philosopher coz he's a gopher-it type of bloke.

Old Fart said...

Aiya, why are you being so inconvenient? We have already bought our submarines and helicopters and no more major purchases to be made for defence. After all he cannot fool his boss about what to buy can he? So how else to get commission "legally"?

So he come up with this post NS program. And that also you want to scuttle!! NS uniforms and catering all already taken care of already.

I don't think he suggested BTN did he? I thought he wanted to pass this on to the private sector.

So why don't you become a motivational speaker or something? Maybe we can all be....after all when your charge out rate can be up to RM250 or a little more htan that per hour, its nice to be a motivational speaker right now....

And Shar can show them how to be a real OBE...whoever have you heard do Mack the Knife better than he....As for me....well..I'll just do it My Way la!!!

Anonymous said...

Excuse, I have thought and have removed the message

Anonymous said...

I congratulate, this rather good idea is necessary just by the way